Archive for the ‘Chapatis’ Category
Maize bread mixed with fenugreek leaves & spinach
- 250 gms maize flour
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped methi (fenugreek leaves) bhaji
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- ghee (clarified butter) for cooking and serving
Serve hot with ghee.
1. Mix the maize, spinach, fenugreek leaves, chili powder, green chilies and salt. Add hot water and make a soft dough.
2. Divide the dough into equal portions.
3. Spread a damp cloth on a wooden board and flatten into a form of chapati until thin.
4. Lift from the cloth with wet hands and put it upside down on a tava (griddle).
5. Cook on both sides, using a little Ghee(clarified butter). Repeat for remaining dough.
Maize Flour Bread
- 1/2 kg maize flour
- 1/4 kg wheat flour
- 4 tbsp. curd
- 6 flakes grounded garlic
- 6 green chilies grounded
- A small piece of ginger grounded
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. red chili powder
- 2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp. oil for batter
- Salt according to taste
- Oil / Clarified butter for making the parantha
Sarso da saag OR Palak da Saag.
1. Mix all the ingredients well and knead with a light hand to make a soft dough for parathas. Add a little water if required.
2. Heat a tava (griddle) and grease it with 2 or 3 drops of oil.
3. Roll 1 small portions of the dough to form medium-sized chapati.
4. Fry till both sides are evenly browned. Remove from fire and serve.
5. Repeat till all the dough is used.
Bread of flour
- 3 teacups plain flour (maida ( all purpose flour))
- 1/2 teacup lukewarm milk
- 1 level teaspoon fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon powdered aniseed (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ghee ( Clarified Butter) for cooking
Chicken or mutton.
1. Add the milk to the yeast and keep aside for 20 minutes.
2. Sieve the flour with the salt in a bowl and add the aniseed powder. Pour the yeast mixture on top and knead well.
3. Add a little water if needed to make a soft dough. Cover and leave it in a warm place for 1hour. Knead it again.
4. Divide the dough into equal parts. Shape them into balls and roll out into rounds about 5″ to 6″ in diameter. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
5. Now cook on a tava (griddle) with Ghee(clarified butter) until light brown.
6. Serve hot.
A well known Indian bread
- 11/2cup Whole Wheat Flour (Atta)
- 50 gms Maida (all purpose flour, plain flour)
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Water to knead
Serve hot with hot vegetables.
1. Mix wheat flour, maida, salt and baking powder and sieve them together.
2. Pour oil in the flour and add water bit by bit and make a smooth & elastic dough and set aside covered with moist muslin cloth for 1/2 an hour.
3. Now make small balls of the dough and roll like a thin chapati of about 12″ diameter circle using little dry flour (it should be thin as a tissue)
4. Heat an inverted griddle(tawa). Place the roti carefully over it and cook till done.
5. Fold it like a handkerchief.
Bread prepared from whole wheat flour – A main food for the Indians
- 400 gms. Whole meal flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Water for kneading
1. Sieve flour, and salt. Add water a little at a time. Knead into a medium soft dough.
2. Divide into balls of equal portions. Apply some flour and roll into thin chapatis.
3. Cook on Tava (griddle) till puffed and cooked. Apply Ghee(clarified butter) & serve Hot.
Stuff Potato Bread prepared by mixing ghee and curd with white flour
For the Kulcha :
- 300 gm Maida (all purpose flour)( All purpose flour OR white flour)
- 1/2 tsp. dry yeast ( for yeast see advice)
- 2 tbsp. Curd/Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tbsp. Ghee ( clarified butter)
For Filling :
- 250 gm Potatoes
- 1 tsp. Chili chopped
- 1 tsp. Salt 1/2 cup Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Oil / Clarified butter for making the Kulcha
To prepare yeast:
- 3/4 cup Warm water
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
Method for preparing yeast:
1. Sprinkle yeast in warm water.
2. Add sugar and leave it for ten minutes.
3. Add 1/2 tsp lemon juice to it and your yeast is ready.
Serve hot with any gravy subji or dal.
Method for preparing Kulcha:
1. Seive Maida (All flour, plain flour) and add baking powder, salt, Ghee(clarified butter), and curd to it.
2. Prepare the soft dough with yeast- water, and leave the dough for about two hours.
3. For the filling boil the potatoes and mash it very smoothly. Now mix the remaining masala and prepare a mixture.
How to proceed:
Make small ball from the dough, roll into a disc shape and put potato filling on it. Give it a ball shape by sealing its edges. Finally roll it into a thick paratha and bake on tava (griddle) by applying Ghee(clarified
Baked Bread of wheat flour stuffed with veggies
For the chapaties:
- 1 1/2 Teacups wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon ghee (clarified Butter) or butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
For dipping the chapaties
- 1/2 Teacup milk
- 2 Tablespoons plain flour (maida)
For the stuffing
- 2 Boiled potatoes, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 Teacups finely chopped mixed boiled vegetables (French beans, carrots, cauliflower, green peas etc.)
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Green chili, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon chopped coriander
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Salt according to taste
Serve with Pickle or Beated curd.
For the chapaties -
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough together and make a soft dough.
2. Knead very well and leave aside for 1/2 hour.
3. Roll out the dough into thin chapaties and cook them lightly on a tava (griddle).
For the stuffing -
1. Heat the oil, add the onion and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the tomato and green chili and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add the chopped potatoes, mixed vegetables, chili powder, turmeric powder, cashewnuts, coriander and salt.
How to proceed
1. Grease a baking dish. Put a chapati in it and spread a little stuffing.
2. Dip another chapati in the milk and plain flour mixture and place it on top of the stuffing. Spread a little mixture again and continue ending with a dipped chapati.
3. Pour 2 teaspoons of melted butter on top and bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 15 minutes.
4. Cut into slices and serve.
Tandoor baked Pancakes prepared from refined flour
- 1 kg Maida ( All purpose flour)
- 1 and a half tbsp. Baking powder
- 15 gms Onion seeds
- 50 gms Melted ghee
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 115 gms Milk
- 2 and a half ounces Beaten curd
- Salt according to taste
Any of the non veg dishes and red Onion dipped in vinegar.
1. Beat egg well. Add sugar and milk and beat nicely once again.
2. Sieve together flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Mix in melted butter along with Curd and milk and mix well.
4. Knead the dough until it turns very smooth. Cover and set aside for half an hour. Then divide the dough into large balls and shape each ball into an oblong-shaped roti.
5. Apply melted butter or Ghee(clarified butter) on both sides of the roti and smear one side of the roti liberally with onion seeds and then bake it in a tandoor/ oven.
Bread of refined flour and spinach, Simply Delicious.
- 200gms Maida (all purpose flour)
- 200gms Besan (gramflour)
- 100 gmsspinach and Coriander leaves , cleaned & minced
- 4 nos. Green onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Pomegranate seeds
- 4 nos. Green Chilies
- Salt according To taste
- Oil / Clarified butter for making the parantha
Serve with Curd or pickle.
1. Sift together the two flours and salt, stir in the rest of the above ingredients and add enough water to form a dough.
2.Divide the dough into balls and roll out each ball into a thick round Chapati. Apply Ghee (clarified butter) liberally to the uppermost side of the chapati and fold into a square.
3. Now cook on a tava (griddle) with Ghee (clarified butter) until light brown and serve hot.
Indian Bread with white flour
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Cup yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tsp. oil + oil for frying
If you have a tortilla maker, you may press the balls in it and then deep fry to save time.
Chola, pickle & hot green Chutney.
1. Make dough and knead well. Set aside in a warm place to rise for atleast 2 hours.
2. When ready to serve food, make balls and shape into thick puris and deep-fry.